Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Backpacking Roan Mountain

Here are some overdue pictures from our weekend backpacking trip on Roan Mountain. It was a grueling hike covering 30 miles for the weekend (remember - we carried everything with us). The first day we hiked straight up the mountain. There was a point that I questioned whether or not I liked backpacking anymore. But I really felt like I had strength all weekend to push through at even the hardest moments. Before we left, I prayed that God would help me to stay positive throughout the trip and it made a world of a difference soaking everything in with a clear mind and joyful heart. The second day was a much easier and shorter hike. We got to our site by the afternoon and had plenty of time to rest and meet other hikers on the way. We hiked out at 5am Sunday morning to see the sunrise. We left in moonlight and under the stars hiking with our headlamps. My body had a hard time getting up when I barely slept through the night and we started directly on an incline. But it was well worth the early morning to watch the sun rise over the horizon and breathe in God's beautiful creation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment