Monday, April 11, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

I've seen a lot of posts in the blog world about this book One Thousand Gifts and now I am antsy in my pantsies to get a copy of it. It clearly looks like one of those books you can always come back to and read through and through. Hopefully soon I'll have my own to scribble in and underline. 

On another note. Both my husband and I can play very little guitar. I was raised in a very musical family and learned to play piano very young and violin when I was 10. I'm at the point that I feel rusty at everything I once was good at. But John Mark is determined to pick up his guitar again, as am I. I think we both have dreams of leading worship and singing on our back porch together and right now we are motivated. We are at the stage of trying to regain our callused finger tips so we can play without being in pain. I love seeing my husband play the guitar. He took lessons for a short time when he was a kid, but it has been a while. Today I told him: "well, think of this... a major chord sounds happy and a minor chord sounds sad." His response: "I think that Johnny Cash played a lot of minor chords."
I always dreamed of singing and playing music with my husband, and when I married John Mark, I knew that it may not be a possibility. He sings all the time, but doesn't have much rhythm. But  i'm all googly-eyed these pass few days watching him practice. I've never taken guitar lessons, just taught myself a few things on my Takamine Jasmine guitar and now we are practicing together. He really wants to learn the Banjo and I want to  pick up my mom's Mandolin. Maybe one day my dreams will come true and we can have a family band on our back porch with a scenic mountain view in the background. When I was young, I was a little embarrassed of the capabilities of our Wilson family band... oh how the tables turn. I'm wishing our little Redwine family into a mountain band already.

Today was a nice day... extremely windy but a different kind of wind. Apparently we are getting a southern wind that's nice and warm at the same time. I feel like we're in California. We took Java to our apartment dog park and while she ran around and sat in the wind and sun, John Mark brought his guitar and practiced and let me have at it too. He told me I should have brought mine because I was disturbing his practice time. So, anyways, today was one of those days that God reminded me of true joy and peace even in the little things. Even in the hopes and dreams of the Redwine Family band. As for now, I have a lot of practicing to do... Caterpillar if you know what I mean. Maybe tomorrow I'll get my violin out too. John Mark is again, practicing in the background as I write this and Java has been sitting on the porch outside for almost two hours.

2 comments: