Monday, April 4, 2011

"Be Strong"

JM Me Charity & Carlos at the starting line.
John Mark and I have been training for our first half-marathon since the beginning of February. I enjoy running, but sometimes it's difficult for me to stick with it week after week. But, with the date of our marathon and the financial commitment we made when we signed up for this race, it was much easier to run 5 days a week. We had a great routine and our little Java doggy got so excited when we began our stretches and shoe lacing because she knew she was going for a run too!

Before this year, the longest I ever ran was around 6 miles. And before this race, we had trained up to 9.5 miles. I went into this half marathon with a lot of anxiety. For some reason I always see things through a pessimist view, very different from my husband and the Maquedas (my sister and her husband). From the start I felt completely untrained and unprepared for this race. I felt like our pace was too fast, but I wanted to keep up with my sister. And, there were a lot of challenging hills. We don't have any hills here in Elizabeth City. We kept up with Charity for the first 6 miles, but I couldn't do it anymore. She was running about a 8.5 min pace and we trained at a 9.5 pace. I had to let go of my pride and admit that it was just too fast.
Us all together at the finish!
*By the way, I have an amazing husband. He ran with me the whole way, though I know good and well he could have ran ahead at any time. A few times I even told him to go ahead just so I could sulk in my own misery without him having such a positive attitude the whole time (ridiculous I know).* 
But John Mark carried me through. So many times I wanted to give up and call it quits, but he didn't let me. He reminded me that we were prepared and that if I needed to go slower it was okay. I think it was around 10 miles that my knees hurt so bad I wanted to stop and I said quietly: "Lord give me strength!" The next step I took had a child's handwriting in chalk saying: "Be strong!" I think it's great that even times when we don't expect it, even when we put ourselves through something that our bodies may not naturally enjoy, God still encourages us. Even through this small message "Be strong!" This entire run we had perfect weather: no wind, sunny skies, blooming trees, and tulips. We had crowds cheering us on and doggies on the side that reminded me of how much Java loves to run with us. Most importantly I had an amazing husband by my side and an encouraging and supportive family. It was a difficult run, but it all paid off in the end and I am pleased to say that this isn't my last half-marathon! I finished in ‎2:10:32.5 
-According to JM, WE WON!

2 comments:

  1. why do Carlos and Charity have matching skirts on? Great blogging Rahel. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEA!!!!!! congrats! ;-) I know running is SO hard but think about how INCREDIBLE you felt when you finished! :-) ANDDDD I love the vision I get of God just encouraging you through the race! :-) AWESOME! :-)

    ReplyDelete