Saturday, November 12, 2011

Veteran's Day

My husband has been in the military for over 5 years now. 
We met before he joined the Coast Guard.
Sometimes I don't realize that I'm a military wife. Currently, JM works quite regular hours and doesn't really talk about work that much at home. I ask him about it, but he doesn't feel it's interesting enough to tell me about. Before we were married, I understood his military life a little better. He used to go on 3 or more patrols a year. Most of our dating life was through emails while he was underway and expensive pay-phone calls. But, for the past 2.5 years he's been at a desk job. Things are about to change for us. We are waiting for our orders to see where we go next. We didn't think we'd stay in for another tour, but with job security, benefits, and JM's school being practically paid for, it's hard to resist. It's exciting and scary all at the same time. One man is responsible for choosing where hundreds of  sailors and their families go next. We are in a season of waiting after a difficult-but-amazing first year of marriage. I'm excited for a location that JM and I can move to together and start everything new. I think it will really change how I feel as a military wife. I think everything will become real to me. Changing work schedules, duty requiring him to stay on base, short deployments.... things will be different but we are looking forward to this new adventure. As for now, I thank my husband for his work and for taking care of us. I thank the many husbands and wives that work in the military around the world. I may not agree with everything they do, but I support the commitment they've made for the safety and protection of their country.
In celebration of Veteran's Day, JM and I went to historic Williamsburg. 








No comments:

Post a Comment