Monday, July 18, 2011

A vision of Love!

I am overwhelmed by my study this morning. If you ever question God, the Creator of Heaven and Earth and his motives in all the cosmos, he reveals his nature all throughout Scripture. But today my reading was so clear, so obvious, so true: 
Via Pinterest
Moses asks to see God's "glorious presence" in Exodus 33:18. But what does God show Moses? He says: "I will make my goodness pass before you (33:19)" God is so powerful that he did not show his face to Moses because it would have killed him. But God shows Moses even better than a tangible vision of himself. He shows what humans can relate to; not his mighty power, but his LOVE! His love revealed by his character and nature. Basically his ultimate being!


Reading further, God speaks his being of love to Moses on Mt. Sinai
Exodus 34: 5-7 NLT
5) Then the Lord came down in a cloud and stood there with him; and he called out his own name, Yahweh. 6) The Lord passed in front of Moses, calling out,


   “Yahweh! The Lord!
      The God of compassion and mercy!
   I am slow to anger
      and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.
 7) I lavish unfailing love to a thousand generations.
      I forgive iniquity, rebellion, and sin.
   But I do not excuse the guilty.
      I lay the sins of the parents upon their children and grandchildren;
   the entire family is affected—
      even children in the third and fourth generations.”


Our God is a loving Father. He does not let our sin go unpunished... but he forgives and forgets. God's glory that Moses asks to see is revealed in his mercy, grace, compassion, faithfulness, forgiveness, and justice. How can we deny a God that has the best intentions for his people?! 


How did Moses respond? "Moses immediately threw himself to the ground and worshiped (34:8)."

No comments:

Post a Comment