Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Can you say… overwhelmed?

Well friends, I am officially overwhelmed and found myself in tears today after I tried to organize myself and my work for the next 4 months. I think this will be my hardest and busiest semester ever. I guess that’s what happens nearing a summer in Cambodia, graduation and marriage. I know that I will get through it but sometimes I am in awe in the fact that I am trying to get through school, planning an internship, graduation and my wedding all in this year. I am so grateful to be at this stage in my life and feel as though I am capable of getting through everything without too many huge melt-downs (there will always be a few), but I know that this will probably be one of the most significant years in my life and for sure so far. I really have to learn to trust the Lord, stay motivated, and avoid procrastination through all of this. But all of it is truly an incredible opportunity. I want you to read the email I received today in expectations for planning and leading my internship to Cambodia. I really don’t even know where to begin with all this…

Please pray for me and this work load. Thanks so much,

Rahel

(From our director Julie in Cambodia)

I have created a rather tentative schedule for the interns’ ten weeks. Not knowing their strengths and giftedness I have created a rather generic itinerary, knowing that there is a high probability of rewrites. I also didn’t know if you or another professor would be coming in mid-June to visit them and when they would take their break. So, all of these things need to be worked into the schedule.

There are several events/activities that they need to begin planning:

1) VBS–vacation Bible school–this will be a three-day format for four hours each day. They need to write the curriculum and create at least 2 levels of lessons for younger and older students. They must create a theme, lessons, crafts, songs, application, etc. This VBS will be recreated at least 3 times. There are three seperate sites for this VBS: Takam, Somaki, and Tonlesap. They will recreate the VBS from start to finish and the previously mentioned sites. They need to plan for 80 – 100 kids.

2) Every Thursday they will be responsible for Community Day at our children’s home. This is an outreach to the children of the community which includes singing, devotions, activities, and a feeding program. This is for 2 hours.

3) Every Tuesday they will help me with a church plant in the village of Takam. Some will alternate preaching to adults and others will teach SS lessons to children. (very basic)

4) For four weeks I will be giving them an English Intensive to teach. The interns will pair up and each pair will teach one class. Each class will meet 3 times a week for an 1 1/2 hours.

5) Every Sunday they will assist with Youth Group, teaching Sunday School, and preaching. They will need to prepare sermons, sunday school lessons, and discipleship lessons for youth and young adults.

6) We have scheduled a Youth Lockin for one weekend. They will be responsible for organizing this event. I have the curriculum for this.

7) In June we are busy with varying teams and there are several events. One is Youth Camp. The role of the interns will be counselors. The other event is Media Camp–they may or may not have a role in this event.

They will be very involved in a new ministry at the Somaki market and helping us establish that. I can’t pinpoint that on a calendar because we are in the process of starting this ministry.

On the calendar July is fairly empty, but that is because I realized I did not fit in a vacation nor did I leave space for a visit from faculty.

There is an opportunity for a Home Village Stay if anyone wants to rough it for a few days and live in a village and have a more authentic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment