Monday, December 3, 2012

On Being Honest

Most of the time it's hard to acknowledge my own failures.
I am pretty good at recognizing everyone else's.
And I am even better at pointing the blame to someone other than myself.
But only when we learn to acknowledge our own failures can we grow and change.
I am learning a lot about evaluating programs and ways of doing ministry.
But the scary part is when the evaluation is turned to my personal life.

Ever so often I go into a crisis mode when I feel like anything I am doing in my life is insufficient and I break down.

The truth:
I am terrible at following through with most things.
Most times I don't finish a book.
I don't like confrontation.
I run away from problems.
I speak before I think.
I am awful at keeping up with friends.
I assume people don't like me up front.
I read my Bible steadily for a few weeks, then don't.

Today, I had my breakdown and it is time I evaluated myself.
Here are some things I am working on:
I cannot provide for my family like I want, and that's okay.
My plans will never be as good as His.
Freely have I received God's gift and freely must I serve Him.
When there is a problem, don't point my finger, seek a solution.
I cannot run away if something isn't turning out the way I want.
My attitude really does depend on my relationship with God.
If I want to be a part of change, I need to make my own small steps toward it.
DO the things I am passionate about, even when I don't know how.
Work on finishing what I've started.
Point out the positives before the negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment